Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Raw Cane Sugar Sea Glass Candy

 This project was so quick and easy.  I might even suggest it for a fun candy to make with kids as long as there are no distractions and you're very organized and careful of the hot sugar.
I'm not a candy expert by any means.  But I did grow up learning and trying new candies to make at home.     
Our family tradition for Christmas Eve is always making fudge, caramels and peanut brittle.
This one is extremely easy as candy goes.  *Not even any stirring which is unusual.

Here is the original recipe posting from "The Kid Can Cook" that I used as inspiration.
I'll leave the detailed step by step for this to the original posting but the ingredients couldn't
be any easier.  I already remember all that's in it and the proportions.

2 Cups of Sugar

 (I used Raw Cane Sugar from iHerb.) 

Next time I may try it using Coconut Palm)

1 Cup of Water

3/4 Cup Light Corn Syrup

2-3 drops of Food Coloring

And some flavoring (just a few drops) like Peppermint, Lemon, Mint etc.

(Today I just used NuNatural's Liquid Orange & Lemon Flavored Stevia)


Today I made 2 batches, a small batch of Green first, then when I knew how easy it was,
a full batch of Blue.



And about a Cup or so of Powdered Sugar
 if you want to dust each piece so they're not as sticky

Don't have any powdered sugar on hand?
Make your own - Homemade Brown Sugar and Powdered Sugar Directions
Cool for about 30 minutes (I put mine in the fridge for about 5)

Maybe by now your saying,"okay, it looks like glass.  But what's with the 'sea glass'?"
And if you don't want to mess with the sugar, here's a link to buy some:

Seems from what I see on line it's popular at Weddings as well.  It would make a great gift...

It does look like old broken glass, that's for sure!

My Hydrangeas made it through the storms last night okay by the way....
So, Sea Glass Candy. 
Really easy and fun to make.
Not a lot of work or cost.  And it would make a great gift.  I stored most of this
today in a baggy and put it in the freezer.  If I need to make up a nice homemade
gift for someone, I know where to get some cool candy for someone nice!
No, I wouldn't suggest eating this stuff if you drop it in sand!  I sacrificed a few pieces for the pics...

Raw Cane Sugar Sea Glass Candy.
Enjoy!

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. When I was a little girl, my grandma used to make candy that looked very similar to this! Wow, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool, in Minnesota? I'd love to see the recipe for hers if you ever come across it. I'd never heard of Sea Glass. It's really just like making a huge lollipop, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...