Thursday, March 22, 2012

Coconut Milk




Pour 2 cups of boiling filtered water over 1 cup of shredded coconut flakes in a glass container.  Cover and let soak for at least 12 hours. 
Then pour the whole (or half if your blender isn't big enough) mixture into a blender and process for 2 minutes or more on high. 
You can also add sweetener and / or vanilla before mixing to flavor the milk.






After blending,  pour the whole mixture through a strainer over a  bowl to strain out the remaining coconut fibers.

Squeeze out any liquid from the pulp in the strainer and use the coconut pulp in smoothies or baking.
I actually ran the pulp through the blender a second time with another 2 cups of water to maximize the amount of milk I got but you may not want it that thin.  
Try it out and add / subtract to your tastes.


I got just over 1 Quart from 1 cup of shredded coconut so it was about $1.25 per Quart this way. 
I think it's almost $3.00 per Quart at the store so this is an easy and quick alternative for me.  Plus I know what's in it and can add the sweetener my way.  Great recipe for me and I get to use the leftover coconut which you don't get when you buy store made.  So, give it a try. 

Enjoy!



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...