Monday, May 2, 2011

Gluten Free Cherry Walnut Truffels

These are a great afternoon snack, low in carbs, high in nutrition and flavor.  The inspiration came from Elana's Pantry posting for "Chocolate Power Bar Balls".  Her recipe calls for dates which are delicious but also a little high in sugar.  I changed mine up some by using dried cherries.  I did a second batch that I made into actual bars instead of balls and put them on the dehydrator so I can take them in the car for work.  The balls really should be kept in the fridge.  Either version, you can add and subtract to suit your own preference


Here's my version:

Cherry Walnut Truffles
1 C Walnuts (I mixed in some Brazil nuts too that I needed to use up so feel free to adjust)
3/4 C. Dried Unsweetened Cherries
1/4 C. Dried Currents
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
A little water if needed to smooth out the mix.
Plenty of powdered Cacao to roll finished balls in.

1.  Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you get a crumbly mixture.

2.  Add in water, pulsing until you get a soft ball of crumbles forming.
3.  Scoop out tablespoon size portions of mixture and roll in your palm to form balls.

4.  Place formed balls aside and refrigerate for a few minutes when you get all the mixture used.

5.  Roll the balls individually in Cacao powder until well coated.  Store in the fridge for up to a week.

The second batch I made with dried Prunes instead of Cherries and added in a tsp. of Flax Seed, a tsp of Chia seed and a Tbs. of sesame seed to boost the nutrition even more.  I pressed those out flat and dehydrated them until they lost the sticky feeling so I could wrap them in wax paper to take out of the house more easily.
 Experiment and come up with your own favorite version, it's a great way to get your healthy dose each day of nuts and fruit.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...