Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spicy Manhattan Style Clam Chowder

This will not be your Grandma's Clam Chowder.  It's got a kick to it that balances out the potatoes and blandness of the clams.

I canned the vegetables separately to avoid using the space in my quart jars for the clams.  Will store cans of clams as I see them on sale and then add them to the soup when I do use the base.  I had enough in this recipe for 6 Quarts and some left over for dinner.  I would serve this with crackers or hot bread and adjust the vegetable amounts to your own tastes.  Leave the spicy stuff out even and it's still good, just not as kickin!


Here's what I used for 6 Quarts (not including Clams)       

11 Medium sized white potatoes large dice                      
1 Very large Onion chopped
2 small bags of frozen sliced carrots thawed
2 Stalks of Celery cut into 1 inch pieces
1 quart or so of canned diced tomatoes
1 quart or so of canned tomato sauce
2 quarts of chicken stock
1 tbls. paprika
1 tsp of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tbls. of hot sauce
Process Quarts in a Pressure Canner for 90 Minutes at 10 lbs. or your own locations specifics

I'd add 1 can of clams w/juice to each quart jar before serving this soup.  Top with some crumbled bacon or a little Parmesan even.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...